Saturday, May 11, 2013

Sewing | For a better heart

I feel as though there is a deep sadness associated with the textile industry.
The recent building crashes in Bangladesh, the dehumanising work environments in certain clothing factories, cruelty to animals and a disregard for our earth.


Hello Grey Jersey Knit

I love Jersey knit and Tshirting, it's more like a cheat really! No Hems, the material rolls up into its own character...Love that! 

Pleats and all
I have also been wanting to sew a circle skirt, so I thought why not give it a go! I followed the instructions on Fickle Sense, and I chose to make a full cirlcle skirt with an elasticated waistline. It worked out, but I was not too happy about the way is bunched around my waist...story of my life.

So I decided to convert it to a dress.
These low waisted dresses were my inspiration.


My Inspiration

#heart
 I just used a tank top to cut the pattern for top part of the dress and voila...now I feel like dancing...and yes South Africans can wear tanks in the middle of Autumn...#showingoff.

I think I want to add in a lace neckline and/or hemline.

Grey Twirls make me Happy!
I think one of the ways I help myself feel better about the Textile industry, is to stitch up something in honour of those who have had their honour taken away from them.

Love and Light

4 comments:

  1. beautiful heart, beautiful dress, beautiful girl <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt exactly the same way the other day.. taking the time to sew a hat for the kids instead of running out and buying it 'cheap'- and thinking of those who suffered there.. so sad.
    You're a beauty!
    xx
    mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete