Monday, May 28, 2012

Growing and Eating

Its been a busy few weeks here.
Its getting colder, not too cold but colder.South African winters are nice.
pleasant.
I guess its because we live in the highveld.
There are some places where temperatures can get below 0 degrees celsius, during the day but after spending 2 winters in South Korea, its a blessing!

Three weeks ago the boys & I decided to plant.
So we cleaned out our tiny patch of forever growing tomatoes.
Turned the soil & planted peas.
yum!
Then we tried to seed some Purple Dragon & Chantenay carrots.
I'm not sure these are going to make it though, and I'm usually an optimistic kind of girl.

Filling egg cartons with soil

Purple Dragon Seeds (Carrots)

We salvaged some old wood from the dumpster and made geoboards.
so far Josh & Lijie are enjoying them.
Or being forced too, I'm not too sure.
They did enjoy making them though.
There was some element of fun in this...I promise.


Making a geoboard

Math

We had our coffee, craft & chat day.
Had a wonderful time picking lemons from trees on the church property.
The ladies and I had loads of fun making lemon pickle.
This week awaits the tasting.
Cannot wait.









Terxia

Marge & Me being goofballs

Josh, my ever pleasing wonder child, was complaining of stomach cramps every time he ate wheat.
I decided to try and eliminate wheat from his diet for a few days, or rather struggled too.
(its very difficult to not give kids a saamie when you need a quick lunch)
I made this crunchie recipe, using our home milled (fyi, its a food processor not a proper mill) oat and barley flour instead of regular cake flour.
So delicious, and nothing healthy about it all.
(turns out his portion of oats was just too big!)

Wheat free Crunchies


Love & Light
>i<.

2 comments:

  1. Fun times! I need a translator: "Geoboard?".. I'm curious now! Hope you guys bring in a bumper crop. Jealous of the cooler weather, I tend to have a hissy fit in this heat/humidity of summer starting here! You are a beautiful mama - think those earrings will be gorgeous on you (if they ever show up!!.. sheesh!).
    Love & Light right back at you. ;o)
    Mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geoboards...we used to play with these when we were at elementary level, I think.
      It's a wooden board with nails nailed into them at equal distances in a, for example 9 X 9 set up.
      (I should have added in a pic of the completed one but here a link http://homepage.mac.com/efithian/Geometry/Activity-03.html)

      Thanks for the kind words.
      They will show up.
      Our postal system is a little laid back.

      Have wonderful day, Mel!

      Delete